Sunday, November 23, 2008

Suffering

Suffering is a form of pain that can be dispensed in various ways. I personally have experienced suffering in a number of ways in my life. Amidst all of this I’ve come to realize that it’s helped me grow to a man. Much of this suffering though, dates back to this past summer; I lost quite a number of people whom were close to me. Sometimes it feels as though that suffering and I have become synonymous. So I guess you can that suffering has becoming a part of my life – good or bad – who knows?
One experience with suffering hit me hardest of all this past summer. On August 11, I lost my grandfather; this was the most significant loss of them all to me. This hit me deep; I still feel his loss and always will. That’s suffering to me, even though I spent my time with him, it’s not here anymore. That is my entire idea of how one suffers, by having someone/something taken away. Little by little I suffered more and more, but my grandfather’s suffering was far greater. My entire family knew how deeply moved I had been by this and all offered any help possible. With each and every day, the medical staff was trying to make my grandfather more and more comfortable. The end was winding down now so his suffering was coming to an end, but as for mines, it was ever-growing. Eventually the prostate cancer weakened him and fatally took him over. We had so much in common and I continue his namesake now and always, it’s a great honor. We both have brought a lot of honor to the family in many ways; it’s inexplicable if you will.
My asthma often acts up from time to time. In most instances it’s my own fault, it’s just sometimes the pain is great. The pain and suffering of just being in the hospital is enough for me. And as you know, most of the time, with asthma also comes chest pain. Any chest pain can really cause huge problems. Spending any time in the hospital is bad, but right around a holiday even affects one greater. In Christmas 2000, I was in the hospital for a few days leading up to Christmas with pneumonia. This was one of the most painful times of my life, all these different machines, doctors, nurses, etc. I just wanted it all to go away, but I had to change things my self. Just to improve my health more than anything. After countless hours of breathing treatments and other breathing exercises, I was sent home Christmas Eve 2000 on a Sunday. It was my greatest present; I had been home and happy. I was now ready to spend what would be a great Christmas with my family.
Suffering has indeed been a part of my life. It’s been there through these experiences as well as others. It’s a key factor in all of our lives, but those were my personal feelings on it. Pain and suffering end only in death – that is of course if you end up in heaven.

No comments: